Miles Vorkosigan/Naismith:
His Life And Times


Originally created for Baen's website in 1996, later additions by Michael Bernardi from the books.
Approximately 200 years before Miles' Birth
Quaddies are created by Genetic Engineering. (Falling Free)
During the Beta-Barrayaran War
Cordelia Naismith meets Lord Aral Vorkosigan while on opposite sides of a war. Despite difficulties, they fall in love and are married. (Shards of Honor)
The Vordarian Pretendership, Miles is born
While Cordelia is pregnant, an attempt to assassinate Aral by poison gas fails, but Cordelia is affected; Miles Vorkosigan is born with bones that will always be brittle and other medical problems. His growth will be stunted. (Barrayar)
Miles is 17
Miles fails to pass a physical test to get into the Service Academy. On a trip, necessities force him to improvise the Free Dendarii Mercenaries into existence, he has unintended but unavoidable adventures for four months. Leaves the Dendarii in Ky Tung's competent hands and takes Elli Quinn to Beta for rebuilding of her damaged face; returns to Barrayar to thwart plot against his father. Emperor pulls strings to get Miles into the Academy. (The Warrior's Apprentice)
Miles is 20
Ensign Miles graduates and immediately has to take on one of the duties of Barrayaran nobility and act as a detective and judge in a murder case. (The Mountains of Mourning in Borders of Infinity)
Shortly afterward, his first military assignment ends with his arrest. Miles has to rejoin the Dendarii to rescue the young Barrayaran Emperor. Emporor accepts Dendarii as his personal secret service force. (The Vor Game)
Miles is 22
Miles and his cousin Ivan attend a state funeral on Cetaganda. Miles collects trouble, of course, but proves he is a contender. (Cetaganda)
Miles sends Elli Quinn, who's been given given a new face on Beta, on a solo Mission to Kline Station. (Ethan of Athos)
Miles is 23
Now a Barrayaran Lieutenant, Miles goes with the Dendarii to smuggle a scientist out of Jackson's Whole. Miles's fragile leg bones have been replaced with synthetics. (Labyrinth in Borders of Infinity)
Miles is 24
Miles plots from within a Cetagandan prison camp on Dagoola IV to free the prisoners. (The Borders of Infinity in Borders of Infinity)
The Dendarii fleet is pursued by the Cetagandans and finally reaches earth for repairs. Miles has to juggle both his identities at once, raise money for repairs, and defeat a plot to replace him with a double. Ky Tung stays on Earth. Comander Elli Quinn is now Miles's righthand officer. Miles and his Dendarii depart for sector IV on a rescue mission. (Brothers In Arms)
Miles is 25
Hospitalized after previous mission, Miles' broken arms are replaced by synthetic bones. With Simon Illyan, Miles undoes yet another plot against his father while flat on his back. (Borders of Infinity)
Miles is 28
Miles meets his clone brother Mark again, this time on Jackson's Whole. (Mirror Dance)
Miles is 29
Miles hits thirty; thirty hits back. (Memory)
Miles is 30
Emperor Gregor dispatches Miles to Komarr to investigate a space accident, where he finds old politics and new technology make a deadly mix. (Komarr)
Miles is 30
The Emperor's wedding sparks romance and intrigue on Barrayar, and Miles plunges up to his neck in both. (A Civil Campaign)
Miles is 31
Armsman Roic and Sergeant Taura defeat a plot to unhinge Miles and Ekaterin's midwinter wedding. (Winterfair Gifts in Irresistible Forces) [1]
Miles is 32
Miles and Ekaterin's honeymoon journey is interrupted by an Auditorial mission to Quaddiespace, where they encounter old friends, new enemies, and a double handful of intrigue. (Diplomatic Immunity)
Ivan turns 35
ImpSec Headquarters suffers a problem with moles. (Captain Vorpatril's Alliance)
Miles is 39
Miles and Roic go to Kibou-daini to investigate cryo-corporation chicanery. (Cryoburn)
Miles is 42, Cordelia is 76
On Sergyar, Cordelia Vorkosigan and Oliver Jole work together to reconcile the past, the present, and the future.(Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen)

[1] Not originally published by Baen, but now found in Miles in Love.


© 1996-2016 by Lois McMaster Bujold & Baen Books

Current version by Michael Bernardi, mike@dendarii.co.uk


left arrow up arrow right arrow


All comments or queries about this Web page to: webmaster@dendarii.co.uk

Last updated: January 18th 2016